English  | 日本語 - -
Consular Information
Requirements for Consular Service
Passport / TC (C of I)
Renunciation of Ghanaian Citizenship
Registration of Ghanaian Nationals
Other Consular Services
Forms & Fees

Renunciation of Ghanaian Citizenship

The 1994 Constitution recognizes the right of persons eighteen years and above to renounce their Ghanaian citizenship.


Ghanaians wishing to renounce their nationality must submit a formal application to the Minister of Interior through the Embassy (the correspondence should specify the reason(s) informing the request).
The letter must be accompanied by the following:
● A duly completed application for renunciation of Ghana Citizenship form (the document should be purchased at the Embassy)
● Curriculum Vitae of the applicant which must include the names and addresses of parents or any close relations living in Ghana.
● Assurance letter/document from the competent authority that the applicant intends to take up Japanese nationality
● Two (2) recent passport size photographs.
● Photocopy of bio-data page of applicant’s Ghana passport

Renunciation becomes legal only after the Minister of Interior has issued the certificate and forwarded to the applicant through the Embassy. The applicant is required to surrender the Ghana passport on the day of receipt of the document.

Copyright (C) Embassy of Ghana in Japan All Rights Reserved.